I’m sure that I’ll get some flack over the choice in title for this recipe, but I don’t care. Feel free to dispute my claim in the comments section. To me, these are the BEST…BURGERS…EVER! That may sound overly boastful, but since it’s not my recipe I don’t feel like I’m bragging.
I never really liked burgers until my husband created this recipe. At cookouts I used to always eat a hot dog, especially if there were some white hots available. But now that I know how delicious and juicy a real burger can be, I might have to save the hot dogs for when I’m at a Redwings game.
Best Burgers Ever (created by my husband)
- 2 pounds 80% lean ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- vegetable oil (for the grill)
- rolls & preferred toppings (see Notes)
- In a large bowl gently mix together all the ingredients with your hands.
- Grab a handful of the beef mixture (approximately 1/8 of the total) and form it into a loose ball (do not compact it). Gently flatten into a patty. Repeat with the rest of the mixture.
- Heat a grill to high. Clean the grill grates and rub a paper towel dipped in vegetable oil over the grates. Put the patties on the grill & close the lid. Grill for approximately 5 minutes (until you see grill marks). Open the lid, flip the burgers, close the lid and grill for approximately 2 minutes. Use tongs to pick up the patties & dump off any accumulated grease (this will cause a bit of a flare-up). If you want cheese add it now, close the lid & grill until it is melted.
- Serve burgers on rolls (preferably toasted) with all of your favorite toppings.
Makes: 8 burgers
Time: 30 minutes
Notes: At our house we prefer to add cheese, but that is totally up to you. I like lettuce, a big slice of beefsteak tomato, Frank’s Red Hot sauce, ketchup, mustard, pickles, & grilled/chopped onions. My husband prefers no mustard, which he claims is for hot dogs only. My advice: put out a large array of toppings and let everyone decide for themselves!